Friday, April 22, 2011

Rockin the Beach

 
Photo Credit: Isabelle Noack
 Isabelle Noack (left) and Lady Vajayjay (right) who was a guest on 
her show to promote LBGT awareness and promote his/her events.

     Isabelle Noack is epitome of how diverse of a campus California State University Long Beach is. She is of African decent, grew up in Germany, lived in Paris all before discovering she was a California girl at heart while studying abroad in Sacramento during high school.

     Her show, "Rock the Beach" aims at capturing all the diversity that walks our campus and conveying it through the radio medium.

"I just try to go with the flow when picking my topics, this campus has so many resources," Noack said. " I'm always walking around, looking for my next story idea. Although I'm a student journalist, I take it very seriously. Being a reporter isn't a job, it's a lifestyle and you have to always be in that frame of mind."
     Noack tries to stay current with her topics, choosing her guests accordingly with what's happening on and around campus and in conjunction with the world outside of CSULB. She also incorporates a wide array of music into her show, again, demonstrating both the diversity present in her and on the campus.

     "I think the most rewarding part of doing my radio show is the freedom that my show allows me to have," Noack said. "All the different topics that I cover allow me to be so creative because I have no restraints on what I can talk about from week to week."
     In addition to her weekly show, Noack, who is a broadcast journalism major, also teaches as a supplement instructor on campus. As part of the campus' effort to help students that are struggling, SI instructors maintain office hours much like normal professors and work in conjunction with the core class to help students succeed.

      Noack, who will graduate next spring, is a strong advocate for KBeach and for all the opportunities that the station offers to aspiring broadcast journalists or just students who want to do something fun in their down time.

"When I first came to this campus, I heard about the station and I thought it was a really cool thing because it was right in line with what I'm trying to do with my education," Noack said. "I just couldn't pass it up and now that I've been doing it for two semesters I'm grateful for the experience in the field that it has provided for me."

     





 

No comments:

Post a Comment